The Proudboy leaders were convicted with conspiracy for planning and leading the insurrection, while some were given more time for being the 'Tip of the Spear," and initiating the illegal entry into the Capitol. This is an entirely different group, as they were the 'Tip of the Spear" that initiated and emboldened others to breach the initial barricades, and began injuring officers as they headed toward the Capitol building. Their trial began last Monday. https://www.courthousenews.com/trial-underway-for-defendants-accused-of-sparking-violence-at-capitol-riot/
Ryan Samsel, James Grant, Paul Johnson, Stephen Randolph and Jason Blythe face charges for actions at the Peace Circle — a roundabout on Pennsylvania Avenue at the edge of the Capitol grounds — where federal prosecutors say they lifted and pushed a metal barricade, driving back the Capitol police officers stationed there.
“This moment marked the beginning of the Capitol riot,” said Justice Department prosecutor Kyle Mirabelli to U.S. District Judge Jia Cobb1)
The moment the first preliminary barrier fell and there was pushback of police officers who were behind the barrier. CPOCaroline Edwards was the first officer of 140 to be seriously injured on Jan. 6, 2021.
1) Ryan Samsel, Pennsylvania,Former Marine,came with GF Genco. Man who assaulted officers and rendered a woman unconscious, has a history of abuse against females… upset he was beaten in a DC jail. He has been charged with assault in his past by 5 women…Pushed over an officer, then helped her up saying, “We don’t have to hurt you. Why are you standing in our way?”She was later taken to hospital with a concussion. Still has brain injury and off work. https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1400121159694356490 Samsel carried a large flag depicting former president Trump as the film character 'Rambo.'"
Forcibly assaulted, resisted, opposed, impeded, intimidated, or interfered with a federal agent while they are engaged in their official duties; Committed or attempt to commit any act to obstruct, impede, or interfere with any fireman or law enforcement officer lawfully engage in the lawful performance of his official duties; Obstructed, influenced, or impeded any official proceeding, or attempt to do so.Defendant remains committed.https://www.justice.gov/opa/page/file/1362781/download **Indicted on seven (7) counts Samsel additional charges for taking a riot shield and throwing a wooden plank at police, as well as a separate accusation of civil disorder.https://www.justice.gov/file/1362781/downloadhttps://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/case-multi-defendant/file/1427996/downloadJudge Zia Faruqui presiding. Ryan Samsel will be allowed to transfer to jail in PA to finish his sentence there and then returned to Fed custody. He requested it to get better medical treatment, & govt is not opposed. Trial for Ryan Samsel et al has been rescheduled to Apr. 17, 23. (Now Oct)
2)Ryan Samsel has beenaccused of attacking other people, usually women, at least six times, and he had at least four prior convictions for crimes that sometimes left his victims fearing for their lives. ‘06 ran woman off road ‘09 assault on woman ‘11 beat & choked pregnant woman ‘15 assault on woman convicted of choking and hitting her head so hard that she suffered a hematoma. ‘19 choking another woman unconscious. Accused of choking & beating his pregnant girlfriend in 2011. Smashing hot pizza in victim's face, pouring beer over her head, throwing her into canal, holding her head under. Federal prosecutors said his record of attacking women — and a failure by law enforcement to hold him accountable— were reason enough to keep him in custody. More detail here of other assaults: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/06/03/capitol-riot-ryan-samsel-violence/
3) Samsel remains in custody, not because of his present violence, but his past violence. You would think causing a concussion for a police officer would have been enough… Pennsylvania Parole Board had lodged a detainer against Samsel. Per court "the defendant would remain incarcerated pursuant to the Pennsylvania detainer until at least April 24, 2022." Judge remarks "Defendant’s lengthy history of assaultive conduct, and the risk that the Defendant will use violence against the democratic process in general or certain individuals in particular, all weigh in favor of his detention."
4) ‘Ryan Samsel is fighting for transfer from pretrial detention.. tells judge "I'm an innocent person. I should have the right to pick where get my medical treatment. I don't trust US Marshals." Samsel is accused of knocking Capitol Police officer unconscious Jan 6. *** Judge responds to Samsel with a reality check: It's not just federal inmates who can't get exactly the medical care they want.*** Defendant remains held without bond. https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1410650574501076992Judge Cobb says the doctor's time is limited & he'll complete his testimony that Samsel can respond to. "Thank you Ms. Cobb", says Samsel. (He only refers to males as "Judge") https://twitter.com/sfoguj/status/1522302025123303424
5) ‘Ryan Samsel (who investigators believe instigated the breach of the Capitol perimeter) has refused a court-ordered medical evaluation and sent a disturbing letter on June 2 about putting “poltions [sic]” through a “woodchipper.”’ https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FVKl1x2XEAEfRCw ?format=jpg&name=large
1)James Tate Grant AKA James Grant, North Carolina, Assaulting, Resisting or Impeding Certain Officers Using a Dangerous Weapon or Inflicting Bodily Injury; Civil Disorder; Obstruction of an Official Proceeding; Entering and Remaining in a Restricted Building or Grounds; Disorderly and Disruptived Conduct in a Restricted Building or Grounds; Entering and Remaining in Certain Rooms in the Capitol Building; Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building; Act of Physical Violence in the Capitol Grounds or Buildings; Parading, Demonstrating or Picketing in a Capitol Building.https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/case-multi-defendant/file/1457746/download** Second Superseding Indictment Indicted on nine (9) counts https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/case-multi-defendant/file/1457736/download
1) Paul Russell Johnson AKA Paul Johnson, Virginia, 3 percenters patches in his backpack. Bragged about "slinging" an officer around and gave her a concussion. His diatribe he gave on video was proudly discussing pushing through the barricades. He shouted , “We pay your bills, back the fuck off” and “We pay for this… that’s some bullshit.” Here is a bragging video where he talks about storming barricades to get inside.
Stephen Chase Randolph AKA Stephen Randolph, Kentucky, “I was in it,” and “It was fucking fun.” Violently pulled atbarricades and pushed against police… and also admitted to seeing the female police officer fall and hit her head. Assaulting, Resisting or Impeding an Officer Causing Bodily Injury; Obstruction of Law Enforcement During Civil Disorder; Obstruction of Justice/Congress.https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/case-multi-defendant/file/1388841/downloadHis lawyers he did not mean the violence he created was fun… so of course the judge let him go before trial.., FFS~! **Indicted on nine (9) counts Arraigned and pleaded not guilty to counts 1-9 on 5/7.Defendant remains on bond.https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/case-multi-defendant/file/1390826/download
Jason Blythe, Texas, was part of a group that assaulted Capitol officers with barricade, seriously injuring one. Charged with civil disorder, assaulting, resisting, or impeding officers with a deadly and dangerous weapon, and engaging in and carrying out an act of physical violence in the Capitol grounds. **Indicted on nine (9) counts https://www.justice.gov/usao-dc/case-multi-defendant/file/1481481/download no other documents.
H/T Daily Kos @PvtJarHead for noting the trial was underway.